Book-Smart, Health-Stupid

Yesterday had a big up and a big down for me....

I got my first assignment back in my art class....97/100! It's such a great feeling to know that I'm understanding the concepts and am able to demonstrate them. If that carries through this quarter in all of my classes, I will have nothing to complain or worry about for school. Granted, Photoshop and Illustrator have me concerned all of the time. Online, perhaps, was not the most effective way for me to take those courses. But, I will power through.

I also got back some blood test results. Actually....let me back up a little. A few weeks ago, something came over me at night after Pete and Piper were in bed. I had this overwhelming feeling that something was wrong, health-wise. Maybe other people have this intuition....maybe not. But, the sensation was so strong that I didn't want to go to sleep...nor could I if I had tried. It was one of the stranger feelings I've ever had. So, I called my doctor to have some blood test paperwork sent to the lab. It was just for the basics - cholesterol, blood sugar, and thyroid. Yesterday I called to get the results and, although not worth a sleepless night, my cholesterol is ridiculously high.

I've had this issue in the past and was able to lower it a little bit. And, unfortunately, DNA is not on my side. However, I think (and hope) it's a big wake-up call for me. I know that with each passing day that I don't make some lifestyle changes, is a day I may not see my children or spend one more day with my husband. Dramatic? No. Because they are what I live for....they're the dream. My dream. And, I should be doing everything I can to make sure I'm around for a long, long time.

I don't know why it is so hard for me to get moving....I can make all the excuses there are to not workout, but it's not getting me to my goal. I don't have anyone to work out with, Piper keeps me too busy, I have to go to school, I have to clean...we've all made excuses. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not sitting here at home every day on the couch eating ice cream. I don't think I stop moving from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed. But some of that time really needs to be reallocated and DEDICATED to exercise. Once Pete is on a new job after this layoff, I want to join the YMCA....daycare and working out all-in-one. And, I would love a bike to pull Piper behind me in her little chariot (there is a bike trail right by the new house)....but, that has to wait until we have a little extra money.

It's fair to say that I have a plan....that there are things I want to do. It's making those things happen that is challenging.

I know that exercise is not the only thing that needs to change....food is a big part of it too. I could eat more healthily, but I know eat better than I did five years ago. So, I suppose it's progress. I feel like if I could just STOP loving and consuming so many sweets, I'd probably lose half of the weight I want to. I wish there was a magic pill that would make chocolate and sugar taste like crap. That would be perfect.



Popular Posts